Revelations

by Remma (morennab@yahoo.co.uk)

So, what was I supposed to say again?"

"God, Jack, we've been over this a dozen times at least. How many more times do you want to run through it?"

"As many as it takes, Daniel. This talking thing is a tricky business. I don't see why you can't..."

"I'm not going to talk to Janet for you."

"Ah, crap. Couldn't you at least..."

"No."

"But..."

"Jack, I am not coming with you, I am not going to prompt you via radio link, and I am absolutely not going to break a limb just to give me a reason to be in the infirmary."

"Damn."

"Look, it'll be fine. Just stick to the script we..."

"The script! Where's the script? Dammit, I know I had it, it was right here in my pocket. Now what am I going to do?"

"Good lord, Jack, you really need to chill out. It's no big deal, you have to know what to say by now...you've been rehearsing all night."

"Well, I don't want to say the wrong thing."

"How hard can it be? All you need to do is tell Janet you're concerned that Sam may have misread your feelings for her. Sam is a very special person, very important to you, but only as a friend. You..."

"Wait, wait, slow down. What was that last bit again?"

"Are you writing this down word for word?"

"Yep...it's all good stuff. That bit about misreading my feelings is genius...even better than what we worked out last night. Succinct and to the point. Don't stop, give me more."

"Jack, you can't just read out a prepared statement. It's a conversation, not a mission briefing. You know, a dialogue between two or more people: You say something, she listens; she says something, you listen. In other words, you converse."

"Thanks for clearing that up, Daniel. So, what if she doesn't say what you said when you were being her in the practice sessions?"

"Then you improvise."

"Ah, crap. It'll all end in tears, I'm telling you. This is so not good."

"Come on, Jack...you can do it. You're a Colonel in the U.S. Airforce...scourge of the Goa'uld...my hero."

"Go on, laugh it up."

"I'm sorry. But really, you could fit Janet in your back pocket, why are you so nervous of her?"

"It's not really Janet. It's having to talk about...stuff. Personal...stuff. I hate that."

"You're getting better at it."

"With you, sure. Not with anyone else. And anyway, you're hardly the one to talk. Getting you to converse about anything that happened this century is harder than pulling a tooth."

"I talk."

"That you do. I've never known anyone who could talk so long...or so fast...and still say squat."

"You know stuff about me."

"Not that much more than the basics, and half of that I found out by accident. I was telling you personal stuff only days after we met."

"Only because you were suicidal and needed someone to talk to."

"If that was true, I'd have talked to Kowalski, or Ferretti. They never even knew I had a son, let alone how he died."

"Yeah, I've always wondered about that. Why did you tell me about Charlie? You didn't...I mean...you weren't...um..."

"Attracted to you?"

"Uh...yeah."

"I don't know. Didn't think so at the time, but after I left you on Abydos...well...let's just say that I spent a lot more time thinking about you than I should have."

"Oh. I missed you too."

"You did?"

"Yes, well, obviously I was pretty busy. There was a lot to do...and everything was new, and different...and I was just married...but I was really happy to see you again, Jack."

"Right."

"I was. Really happy. Until..."

"Yeah. Shit pretty much hit the fan when I showed up again."

"I guess. But that was then, this is now. And now we have different shit and a whole new fan."

"God. Well, no point putting this off any longer. Time to face the music. Daniel..."

"Don't start all this again, Jack. I can't help you with this one...believe me...I would if I could."

"I know. At least you tried wth Sam."

"Let's hope you have better luck with Janet."

"Right. I'll see you later, okay?"

"See you later. And don't...um..."

"Don't what?"

"Just...be tactful."

"Aren't I always?"

"Oh god. We're sunk."

"I'm really not sure this is such a good idea, Sam. Talking to Daniel wasn't exactly a resounding success, was it?"

"I'm sure it will be easier with Teal'c."

"As sure as you were that Daniel would understand, and accept you having a relationship with the Colonel."

"Good point. I'm still stunned that Daniel would react like that...it makes no sense."

"I know, it does seem a little extreme. You did reassure him that it wouldn't affect your relationship with him, didn't you?"

"Oh, yes. And I promised him that it wouldn't affect the team, but he just wouldn't listen."

"Maybe he's worried that if Colonel O'Neill is involved with you, then he'll get left out in the cold."

"That's possible I suppose. I know he doesn't have that many friends, and relies pretty heavily on the Colonel. But he has to know me well enough by now to know that I'd never come between them. I'd be quite happy for Daniel to spend time with us, as long as he wasn't there all the time."

"Oh, absolutely, you'd need some private time. You know, Daniel really should try to make more of a life for himself. It's a crying shame that a man like that is going to waste."

"You're right. He's been mourning Shar'e for long enough, it's time he found himself a nice girl and settled down. I still think you should go for it, Janet. He'd be perfect for you, and Cassie adores him."

"It's worth thinking about...once we've got you sorted out."

"You're a good friend, Janet...the best. The more I think about it, the more I love the idea of you and Daniel being together. Just imagine, we could double date...have dinner parties, even holidays together. It would be perfect."

"It does sound pretty good...then all we'd have to do would be to find someone for Teal'c and we could all live happily ever after."

"I'm not sure Teal'c's wife would be too happy about you setting him up with a woman."

"Oh, right, I forgot about her. But, hey, she doesn't even live on this planet, and what she doesn't know can't hurt her. We'll just have to make sure that the woman we find for Teal'c is really broadminded."

"Janet!"

"Oh, come on Sam, don't be so straight-laced. Live a little."

"Janet, I'm all set to embark on an affair with my C.O. I'd say that qualified as 'living a little', wouldn't you?"

"I sure would, if you'd only get on with it, and not insist on consulting all the world and his wife first."

"I'm just trying to make sure it doesn't have an adverse affect on the team..."

"I understand that, Sam, but sooner or later you're gong to have to stop worrying about SG-1 and start worrying about yourself."

"Why, when I have you to do that for me?"

"Well, then, you should take my advice and grab the Colonel while he's still up for grabbing. A man like that isn't going to be available indefinitely, you know."

"I know, but at least we know he isn't seeing another woman, about the only person he ever sees off base is Daniel. I swear, I'll talk to him soon, maybe even today."

"Good for you, girl. Don't put it off too long."

"I won't. As soon as I've talked to Teal'c, I'll go track down Colonel O'Neill. Maybe we can go out tonight and talk things through."

"Wonderful, and I'll be expecting a full update tomorrow."

"I promise you Janet, you'll be the first to know."

"Hey, Colonel, you're looking a little lost. Is there a problem."

"No, no problem...um...I was...um..."

"Are you sick...hurt in some way."

"Nothing like that. I'm fine...couldn't be...um...finer."

"There's really no need to be embarrassed, I am a doctor. There's really nothing you could say that would shock me...I've heard it all."

"Right...well...um...is there somewhere we could...um...somewhere more...ah..."

"Private?"

"Right. Yes. Somewhere more private. Where we can...ah..."

"Talk?"

"Talk. Yes. We should talk."

"No problem. We can use my office, we won't be disturbed there."

"Yes. Good. We can talk in your office. Perfect."

"So, Colonel. What can I do for you?"

"Right. I wanted to talk to you about Carter."

"Wouldn't it be better for you to talk to her directly?"

"Hell, no."

"Well, of course, I'm quite happy to carry a message, but you really have no need to worry. I can promise you that Sam feels just the same as..."

"No."

"What?"

"No, she doesn't...or...um...I don't...um...ah, crap. This is not going well."

"I don't understand. Are you..."

"Wait. Stop. Let me start again. I've got it all prepared here. One minute...ah, here it is."

"You wrote it down?"

"Could you not interrupt,this is hard enough as it is. Now; I've become concerned that Carter may have misread my...um...feelings..."

"Misread?"

"Dammit, I asked you not to interrupt, now I've lost my place. Where was I?"

"Sir, how could Sam misread you saying you loved her?"

"I have never said that. I said I cared, that's all."

"You also said you'd rather die than lose her, that sounds a lot like love to me."

"I could have said exactly the same about...ah...Teal'c. Or Daniel."

"Teal'c or Daniel?"

"Right. I care about all my team."

"I don't believe this. Sir, if you're worried about..."

"Doctor...Janet, the only thing I'm worried about is that Carter will be hurt by all this. Believe me, that's the last thing I want. Daniel thinks that you're encouraging her to pursue a relationship with me. If that's true, then you have to stop. Tell her anything you want, but convince her that there can never be anything more between us than friendship."

"Yes, I have been...I thought...you seemed...oh my god...Sam."

"I know. That's why I'm talking to you now, before things go any further. And before it becomes impossible for us to continue working together."

"How much further is there. You've obviously already talked to Daniel about this, which I must say, I find very hard to comprehend."

"Oh, well...um...he came to tell me about his talk with Carter. He was worried about her."

"I see. But, you must have talked before, or how could he be so certain of you feelings."

"Well, you know how it is."

"No, I don't, why don't you tell me, Colonel."

"Oh. Uhm...just...ah...talk."

"Sir, if you've been boasting to Daniel about getting Sam to..."

"No! God, no. I'd never do anything like that. I told you, I care about Carter. That's the only reason I'm here."

"I'm sorry, sir. I didn't mean to imply...I'm sorry. Of course you would never do anything like that. It's just that Daniel knew so much. I know the two of you are close, but I hadn't realised...he was so definite that you weren't in love with Sam. I don't understand why you would even be discussing it with him."

"I wasn't...we weren't. It just came up."

"How?"

"Uhm...well...see...I've...uh...been seeing someone else, and Daniel knows about it, so..."

"What? Who? When would you get the chance to meet anyone...and how could you ever keep it quiet in this fishbowl?"

"I don't see that that's any of your concern, Doctor."

"Sorry, sir, I was surprised. The only person I've ever seen you spending time with is Daniel, and obviously you're not...sir? OH MY GOD. Daniel? You're involved with Daniel?"

"Crap. I never said that, why would you think that?"

"You are, You're involved with Daniel. Oh my god."

"Look, Doc..."

"You haven't denied it. Just tell me it isn't true and I'll believe you."

"I...no, I can't do that."

"So it really is true. I'm...stunned. I had no idea. How long have you...uh..."

"How long have we been involved? Several months now. Or do you mean how long have we been in love, because that's a lot longer. A lot."

"In love. You love Daniel? No, I'm sorry, of course you do...you'd never take such a risk otherwise. Dammit, stupid...stupid."

"Thanks."

"No, sorry, I didn't mean you."

"Well, that's good to know."

"I should have realized, it's so obvious now. I just never thought..."

"Obvious? It's obvious?"

"Yes...no...not really. It's more...it's the way you two talk to each other. You guys are so married. I can't think why I never saw it before."

"Oh. Ya think?"

"Oh yes. Absolutely. Colonel, weren't you worried that getting involved with Daniel would affect the team?"

"The team was already affected. I was treating Daniel like shit, and that was impacting adverseley on all of us. We couldn't go on as we were, so..."

"So that was why. I always thought the problems stemmed from your feelings for Sam. How could I get it so wrong, I'm so sorry."

"I know. You thought you were helping."

"Yes, I never meant any harm. We just thought...those other realities. You and Sam were so happy in them, why not here too."

"The circumstances were completely different."

"You mean Sam being in the military?"

"That. And Daniel. Janet, that man isn't me, it's...General O'Neill."

"You're saying that loving Daniel has changed you?"

"Hell, knowing Daniel has changed me. I would never have sent that bomb to Chulak, and that's probably down to Daniel's influence. General O'Neill was a by-the-book, military machine, and even he succumbed to Daniel eventually. Only hours after meeting our boy, he's headed off on a suicide mission, just because Daniel wanted him to. So, maybe we're not completely different after all."

"Poor Sam. I have no idea what to tell her."

"You do understand that she can't know about us?"

"God, yes. She believes that the reason you won't start a relationship with her is because of the regulations.If she knew how many rules you were willing to break to be with Daniel..."

"You should know me better than that. I'd never let protocol get in the way of something I really wanted."

"I thought you were worried about disrupting the team. I know how much SG-1 means to you."

"Well, sure, but if had to chose between SG-1 and Daniel...no contest."

"You love him that much?"

"Oh yeah. This is it for me. The real deal."

"And for Daniel?"

"The same. So, you'll..."

"I'll talk to Sam, convince her that any relationship beyond friendship is impossible between the two of you."

"Good. And you won't..."

"No, Colonel, I won't tell a soul. I think I've done quite enough damage as it is. And, sir..."

"Yes?"

"Nothing...just...take good care of him...he's very special."

"Always. And yes, he is...very."

"Hey, Teal'c, are you busy?"

"I am not. How may I assist you, MajorCarter?"

"Well...ah...I wanted your opinion on something."

"I would be happy to provide it."

"Good, good. Teal'c, how much do you know about Earth's military regulations?"

"Colonel O'Neill has provided me with a handbook which I have studied in depth. Although much is sound, I have found many regulations which make little sense."

"Right. So, you know about the rules prohibiting...intimate...relationships between a team leader and someone under his command."

"I do."

"And how do you feel about that?"

"This was one of the rules which I found to be of little value."

"Really? So, you wouldn't object if, say, Colonel O'Neill and..."

"I have no objection to the relationship between O'Neill and DanielJackson."

"What? No, Teal'c, you've misunderstood. I wasn't talking about a close friendship, I was talking about love."

"As was I."

"Not fraternal love...romantic love."

"Yes."

"What do you mean, yes. You can't possibly believe that the Colonel and Daniel are romantically involved."

"I do believe it. Were you not aware of this attachment?"

"No, there has to be some mistake..."

"There is not. Do you, then, agree with this regulation?"

"What? I don't...what?"

"Do you believe that as team leader, it was wrong of O'Neill to become involved romantically with DanielJackson?"

"Teal'c, why do you think that Daniel and Colonel O'Neill are...together?"

"I have observed them for some time. I was concerned at O'Neill's apparent rejection of DanielJackson. Fortunately, he was able to overcome his reservations. I believe their union is of benefit to them both, and also to the team."

"To the team? How on earth could it be a benefit to the team?"

"The relationship between DanielJackson and O'Neill has always been at the heart of SG-1. When they became estranged,the team suffered. Now that they are once more in harmony with one another, the team is strong."

"I can't...I don't see how this is possible. Colonel O'Neill isn't...and Daniel...they're not...Teal'c are you saying that they're actually...uh...physically involved?"

"Yes. They are in love. Is a physical relationship not the next natural step?"

"Yes...no...between a man and a woman, but not...I mean...they're both...uh..."

"Where there is love, there are no boundaries."

"But..."

"Perhaps gender is no longer an issue for them, MajorCarter. I wish them well. Can you not do the same?"

"I don't know. I need to think. I'm sorry Teal'c, I have to go...I'll...I have to go."

"MajorCarter, I would advise you to think carefully before you act. Once a thing is done, it cannot be undone. It would grieve me should harm come to you."

"Yes, right, of course. I'll talk to you again later. I can't discuss this anymore now...I just can't. Goodbye."

"Oh, Sam, there you are. I wanted to...Sam, what is it, what's happened?"

"Oh, Janet,I've been talking to Teal'c. He said...he thinks..."

"Ah, Sam..."

"Janet, he thinks that Daniel and Colonel O'Neill are in love. That's crazy, right? They would never..."

"Oh god."

"Janet? Oh no, it can't be true."

"I'm so sorry, Sam."

"You knew? You knew and you let me..."

"No, it wasn't like that. I had no idea...I never would have encouraged you if I'd known."

"So, how..."

"The Colonel came to see me."

"What? When?"

"Earlier today, just after you left. I tried to find you, but I had an emergency come in. This is the first free time I've had in hours. I wish...Sam...I..."

"I know, you're sorry. Well, this certainly explains why Daniel reacted the way he did. And the Colonel came to see you, did he? So, Daniel ran straight to him...they must have had a good laugh over poor Sam and her crush."

"No, it wasn't anything like that. Sam, you have to know that both Colonel O'Neill and Daniel care for you. Neither of them would ever want to see you hurt. That's the only reason Daniel tried to warn you off, and the only reason the Colonel came to see me. Because they care about you."

"Daniel, it had to be Daniel, didn't it."

"Sam..."

"What is it about him? What's so special?"

"Sam, that isn't fair. You can't blame Daniel for this situation."

"Two years, Janet. Two years I worked on the Stargate. Then, the minute I get transferred, in he comes and gets the damn thing up and running in two weeks."

"You don't mean this, Sam. Daniel is your friend."

"Then there's SG-1. I worked hard to be on that team. Daniel just gave the Colonel his puppy dog look, and hey presto, he's in. I did the best I could; followed all the rules; did everything right; and still, still, it was Daniel the Colonel turned to, Daniel he confided in. I don't know why I bother. Everything I do, Daniel does better, and faster, and so damned effortlessly."

"Sam, stop this. Sam, what are you doing?"

"I'm going to confront them."

"No, you're staying right here 'till you calm down."

"Janet, unlock that door, right now."

"No. No way am I letting you leave in this state. This is a military facility, you can't go storming around just because you're disappointed. Just think of all the damage you could cause if anyone heard you."

"I don't care."

"What, you don't care if the Colonel is court marshalled? You don't care that Daniel could become a target for all the bigots on this base? Unless your one of them. Well...is that what you want?"

"I...no, of course not. I'm just...I thought...this once...this once, I'm the one. I'm the one the Colonel loves. But I'm not, and Daniel wins again. Oh god, Janet,how do I deal with this? How can I continue on SG-1 after all this."

"Oh, Sam. I don't know, but I know you. You'll find a way."

"Hey, Jack. Damn, it was bad, wasn't it?"

"Oh, yeah."

"How bad?"

"Janet knows about us."

"What! You told her?"

"She guessed."

"Oh. You didn't...um..."

"No, I didn't deny it. I would never do that."

"But, you said..."

"Daniel, there's a difference between not telling people, and lying about it. I could never outright say I didn't love you...it would feel like a betrayal."

"God. How did she take it? I'm guessing she wasn't too happy."

"She wasn't happy about the hurt it will cause Carter. I got the impression that it was due to her encouragement all this had started up again. She feels guilty, but she isn't upset about us being together. She's our friend, and wants us to be happy."

"So now what happens?"

"Janet's going to talk to Carter, convince her to back off."

"Well, that's something. It's bad enough that things are strained between Sam and me, without dragging you or Teal'c into it."

"I know. I don't know how to fix that. Sorry."

"It's not your fault, it's just...unfortunate. She'll get over it, Sam never stays mad at me for long."

"Are you going to be okay working with her?"

"I hope so. It isn't a problem for me, but I don't know how she will feel."

"Dammit, this is not fair. Other people don't have these problems. Why can't we just fall in love and live happily ever after?"

"What, in our ivory tower? Because that isn't us, Jack. Besides, you'd be bored inside of a week."

"I could never be bored with you, Daniel."

"That's sweet, Jack, but absolutely not true."

"There you go with the sweet again."

"Sorry, I forgot that acting like a normal, decent human being embarrasses you."

"Right, and don't you forget it."

"Can we go home now? It's been a rough few days."

"That it has, but at least it's over now."

"Thank god. Now Sam will never have to know."

"Right. Everything can go back to normal...crisis over. Come on, let's go celebrate."

***The End***

 

Previous storyHomenext story

Home