Surprise Party

by Remma (morennab@yahoo.co.uk)

"Why couldn't we just go out to dinner, or a movie? I hate this."

"Daniel, you are going to this surprise party, you are going to be surprised, and you are going to have a good time...got it?"

"But I don't want a party, it's my birthday, I should get to choose what I do."

"Fine, you can explain to Sam and Janet, who have been at my house baking and cleaning since six this morning, that they were wasting their time."

"Since six?"

"Six. And while you're at it, you can let Teal'c know that he moved all the furniture out of my living room in vain."

"He really did that?"

"He did. And it's such a shame to disappoint the General's granddaughters, they spent hours making those decorations, and now we won't be needing them."

"Oh, good lord."

"Never mind, Daniel, maybe they won't be too upset...no more than Cassie, anyway."

"Cassie? How is she involved?"

"Apart from getting all her friends organised to park cars, serve drinks, and generally keep things running smoothly, hardly at all."

"Jack, is your degree in guilting out your friends, by any chance?"

"Nah, it's just a hobby."

"Well, you're very good at it. I'm screwed, aren't I?"

"Totally."

"Damn. How many people are coming, anyway?"

"Pretty much the whole of the SGC."

"What? You're kidding. Jack, you haven't been going around intimidating people into showing up, have you?"

"Didn't have to, you're a very popular guy, Daniel. Everyone wanted to be involved...to make this good for you. I don't think you realise sometimes how well liked you are...even the marines adore you."

"The marines think I'm a geek."

"Yeah, but an adorable geek."

"Ja-ack."

"Seriously though, how can you not like parties?"

"I don't know, experience, I guess."

"Don't tell me, you have a long history of surprise parties, all of which ended in tragedy and mass murder."

"Very funny, Jack, I can barely contain my mirth. I just never did well with parties."

"Care to explain why?"

"I think it was partly never being able to reciprocate with one of my own...foster families tend not to place too much importance on stuff like that. Consequently, if I was ever lucky enough to be invited to someone else's, it was because that kid's parents insisted...you know...be kind and ask the poor little orphaned boy. So, I'd show up...minus a gift, since I had no money to buy one, all exited and hopeful. It wouldn't take long for me to clue in to the fact that I wasn't welcome and was only there on sufference...one of the downsides of being smart."

"Daniel, I'm sorry...kids can be cruel. But, surely, when it was a friend's party..."

"What friend? I was moved around so often I never really had the chance to make friends. It was different once I was in college, but even then, I was so much younger than practically everyone else, I tended to be excluded from frat parties and other stuff...not that I'd have wanted to go..."

"Geez, stop, talk about guilting out your friends. I now officially feel like crap...thanks, buddy."

"Anytime, Jack...you did ask."

"Yeah, what was I thinking...remind me never to do that again. You do realise that everything is different now, don't you?"

"I don't know, I guess."

"Daniel, a lot of people have gone to a lot of trouble for you, and only for you. No one is forcing them, they're doing it out of friendship...out of love. Because you're family. That's not so terrible, is it?"

"No, it's not. It's just...it's not...it's kind of hard to accept."

"Well, try, we're here, and people are hiding under tables and behind curtains as we speak. Okay, what's so funny?"

"Sorry, I had a flash of General Hammond lurking under the coffee table, and Teal'c in the broom closet."

"Go ahead, laugh at your friends making fools of themselves, one more thing they're willing to do for you."

"Okay, I'm convinced."

"So, you ready to have a good time?"

"Yes, I believe I am. Ja-ack?"

"What?"

"Will I be getting presents...and a cake?"

"Oh, for crying out loud, it's your birthday...of course you'll be getting presents and a cake. Never let it be said that SG-1 don't know how to throw a decent birthday bash. Now, quit stalling and get in there...and don't forget to look surprised."

"Okay. And Jack...thank-you."

"No problem, anything for you Daniel...you're worth it."

***The End***

Previous storyHomenext story

Home